Pages

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Gotta read that, and that, and that...

Dan and I were talking about our goals the other night. One of mine is to read more. When I was in grad school, my personal reading took a backseat to my school reading. I did enjoy a lot of what I read in grad school, and I saved quite a few PDFs to read again for ideas and inspiration. But, let's face it, the Horizon Report is not by Julie Garwood! Thankfully, I have a huge backlog of "gotta read someday" books ready to help me make up for lost time.

I've been adding a crazy number of books to my to-read list since I started doing collection development. (How come everything has to sound so interesting?!) Unfortunately, many of my notes on someday-reads are sheets of scrap paper with random, scribbled call numbers, easily misplaced and forgotten. When I worked in Circ, I would use our opt-in online reading history as a makeshift reading list: I would check out an item to myself, flip through it on my breaks and take it home for a day or two, and then check it back in, hoping someday I'd remember to go back over my reading history and pick up that book again. These days, I've been adding items to my Amazon wishlist almost as fast as I can read their reviews. I'm hoping I can get a hold of my rampant lists in one easy-to-use, online location. Maybe LibraryThing? I'm going to play around with it and see if it's feasible. I'm always open to suggestions!

Right now, I'm finishing up The Psychopath Test: A Journey Through Madness by Jon Ronson and I just got my hands on The Paris Wife by Paula McLain. I'm trying to decide what to read next: maybe a biography on Paul Newman? Or should I finish reading Pride and Prejudice on my Nook? I also have a pre-pub copy of Eoin Colfer's Plugged that I should probably finish. Dan is taking on the Harvard Classics, now that his coworker gave us her set (thank you, minimalist coworker!). That's pretty tempting, too. If only I could read faster!

2 comments:

Julie said...

Don't knock the Harvard Classics unless you want to say something like "copycats" as they stole/borrowed the idea from the University of Chicago's Great Books Program...
Seriously, it is something I want to achieve sometime when I have more time;) Kudos to Dan

Lindsay Librarian said...

Yeah, he's filling me in on the life of Benjamin Franklin. Interesting guy! He's also starting to read the History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire.

Post a Comment