Pages

Sunday, August 7, 2011

Movie Review: Captain America

Dan and I went to see Captain America last night. Only four other people showed up for the 10pm show. It was a pretty good movie; I always love seeing the underdog grow up/get a powerful job/get injected with mystery serum/etc and kick butt. Chris Evans plays a very personable and endearing Captain America, and the supporting characters are entertaining. Granted, some of the editing was a little too choppy for my tastes, and the repeated slow-mo action got a bit tiresome. It's also really hard for me to listen to Hugo Weaving and not mentally finish all of his sentences with "...Mr. Anderson." (Life lesson: you can never unsee The Matrix.) For a summer superhero blockbuster, though, I was pretty pleased, and I'll happily go see the Avengers movie in 2012. Captain America is good on the big screen, but if you're not a big superhero movie fan, I'd recommend waiting until it's available to rent.

That said, I didn't read Captain America growing up. I only have a few of the Avengers comics, and those are the ones that co-star the X-Men. So, as a general comic book fan, I thought it was fun, even though it didn't quite follow canon. I don't know if this will bother true Captain America fans, though. I'm generally okay with such departures, if it works in movie form and doesn't betray the characters (as in, Spock and Uhura in the latest Star Trek movie, or the final battle in Harry Potter 7.2). It's when the movie drags the characters through the mud, sullies their names, and nerfs the universe that I get ticked. (I'm looking at you, X-Men 3 and X-Men Origins: Wolverine.)

P.S.: wait around until the credits end.

0 comments:

Post a Comment