Pages

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

QR Codes, Coming to a Library Near You!

I am very excited: our library is going to start using QR codes! One of my coworkers spearheaded the idea and the department heads love it. We have a very mobile-friendly community, so I think we're going to hit a target market. Her main idea is to use QR codes on our shelf-talkers so patrons can scan them and see related books in the catalog. I think this could be an especially useful tie-in between our new books section and the rest of the collection, and between our travel books and travel DVDs. Oh, so many uses! I'm (way too) excited to see how this evolves.

My library is planning on merging our reference and reader's advisory departments in the future. It would be great to have the departments on the same floor, in the same area! I already have cross-over displays in mind that would break our current nonfiction/fiction display barrier: romance, crime, history (I'm imagining Lindsey Davis' Silver Pigs next to Livia, Empress of Rome), adventure... I would have way too much fun with this. I think my coworkers, and the community, would enjoy it too.

I know I'm in the right field because, even after a hectic day like today, I'm excited to see what tomorrow brings.

0 comments:

Post a Comment