Today's hot email topic among my coworkers was
this article about the Joliet Public Library's new digital media lab. We're all gung-ho and in love with the idea. I think if we started researching and writing a proposal now, got it approved, and worked hard on getting grants, we might just be able to establish the foundation of something similar when our freshly-remodeled library reopens in late 2013. (It sounds so simple, yet...)
 |
| Digital media lab circa 1975. Altair 8800, National Museum of American History, Washington, D.C. |
|
Searching for grants is part of my job description. I'm hoping that once we're settled into our temporary space, and we've made it through our staff-wide technology core competencies training, I can spend more time on grants and researching new tech to implement, like a digital media lab. My coworkers and I are already dreaming of visiting the few public libraries in the area that have these labs. The whole process, from research to public use, appeals to me.
Establishing a digital media lab is one of my dream projects. I was very lucky to go to a public high school that offered graphic design classes, sparking an interest that led to my undergrad degree. I'd love for other students and adults to explore their passion, too, whether it's through art, music, or video production. A digital media lab at a public library allows all users access to tools and opportunities they might not be able to afford on their own. Also, how much more relevant and, let's face it, just plain cool can a library get?
0 comments:
Post a Comment