Pages

Thursday, March 29, 2012

Favorite Libraries: 1st Edition

I've been wanting to do a recurring feature on my favorite libraries or libraries I'd love to visit, but there are just so many of them, I couldn't pick a place to start. It's a chilly day at the end of March and I'm reminiscing on past adventures, so I'm kick-starting this feature with a "wish I could have seen inside" library: Arran Library and Brodick Hall on the Isle of Arran, off of the west coast of Scotland.


Arran is known as "Scotland in miniature", an island that manages to represent all of Scotland's different environments. My friends and I fell in love with the slow pace of the island and the beautiful scenery. I'm astounded that it's been six years!

We were out on a walk when I took this picture; I wish I'd tried going inside. I'd love to see if they have a little (or not so little!) historical collection about the island. What kind of fiction do they carry? How many shelves, how many books? Is there a librarian, or is it run by volunteers? When is it open? Does it have any computers? How many people use it in a given day, week, month, year? Can/do out-of-towners borrow books?

You know what the answer is? I'll just have to go back and find out someday!

0 comments:

Post a Comment